Thursday, March 23, 2006

Random non-dated: comments made

He needs to learn about his qualities in order to move on with his personal
life.

The guy is in his retreat. He's human and he's got enough qualities that he can manage but does not know how to. It's happened to me. It has happened to Taylor. We are examples of it being affected. That is what Tim needs to understand. Not that being a shut in is not good for ones humanity. A person that sensitive does not want to be labelled, because it is easy to see the turmoil, which is what affection for a person must heal. Isolation is a mechanism during times like these. There are ways the brain can help to function, in order to prevent further anguish. Cognitive ability that can endorse the state of lonliness, is what happens to need be corrected. The opposite of ones state of mind. People that relapse their judgment do not care. I know from experience, that quickly marching out into the world from a broken heart seems trivial, maybe even superficial because you do not tend to believe the needs of others. If you consider when the mental state is that disillusioned, you cannot simply go out on advice and say, "Get out there, I care about seeing you." Unless you are a great healer.

Honestly. I appreciate whatever response I get, I feel I earn more respect with people's honest reaction. Which is why I appreciate your view especially. I trust your judgment Becky. I do. Furthermore, I for some reason do not feel defensive or dejected. I still like the editing, even though it was the editor's choices.



Well, becky has kept quiet, and she's always nice about not crapping on stuff. So I know she'll be extra careful with my sensitive ego. It's all about damage control. I do not want to promote this as a fromage piece of film, which really puts me in difficult water to tread. Especially when most of the comments surrounding my film have not been reciprocating/appreciative but unwelcomed or negative rather than positive. Therefore, if people liked a movie as bad as (in my personal opinion) The Blairwitch Project? I am justified in saying this, because that was a style of movie unlike this indie type of movie. It's not intended to create problems with even the worst of skeptics. I fear this being a "garbage" movie, means that people are going to like my film because it is so poor to a degree it being recieved with empathy, "the little movie that could" vs. flare "what a neat movie with a authentic story making style."



Just a reminder:Try to remember that the film is about status of the young priest. His loyalty to the church, is symbolic of a generation. This is because he has a demon that appears to the audience resembled corruption. The demon acts as a metaphor to be fought against the censorship. Think about the 3 specific scenes you should watch for in relation the subject matter I'm discussing:

1- The dialogue (improv of amatuers on screen) the young priest (me) is listening to their fears of god. Yet they are not god-fearing individuals, though the audience can see a priest is crossing boundaries that many people would consider innapropriate to be saving such people?

2- The halloween scene: this is where the priest is entering a hallucination of people dressed in masks and this "holiday" might explain how people in the church act. If you can pick out that scene, I'm actually talking to a cross dresser lesbian-type. The demon also arrived at the party.

3- This scene is with the old priest and we're talking about his hat. It's actually a very down to earth scene for the young priest. Probably my best and most favorite of all. The old priest is a traditionalist / antagonist. But I'm there to show him what I care about and the people I've connected with. It's symbolizing the trust I feel for my friends and what I believe in.I really think I did a good acting job in the movie. If people think it's not interesting enough, I can accept that. But my choices were made and I know it's worth the effort.


It's about watching the priest challenging himself. The conflict in the priest is internal as well as external. "Man vs. himself" and "man vs. church." You know you are watching a priest right, tam? Think about his ordeal as he tried to explain his confusion, but he is unable to identify with. The point I am making is that "trying" to explain something if he could. Therefore, if you as the audience see that the priest has crossed certain boundaries. I hope Jen did not have a difficult time seeing through those crucial adaptations. It makes for quite interesting - true-to-life - variety. I thought the parts where the priest is seen talking to his outside circle of friends, the decrepit individuals, the bar scenes with the stripper, the priest dating the stripper. It all leads to his emancipation of performing exorcist rituals adn what it LITERALLY means. The priest conforms to the ideal of leading a life that he must repent for sex, drugs, rock 'n roll. I actually wouldn't change a thing about the movie no matter what the criticism. It's all there.So how did I look?


I like the fact it's not a short or "too-long" for an indie flick. Lots to look at in the movie = not redundant but necessary. The old priest sees what turmoil the younger priest is faced with. The old priest seeing the demon symbolizes the young priest going through his battle to defeat his inner demon.

I especially like the sound track combined with the images. It challenges the conventional norms not associated with dialogue. It really does something if the viewer watches the scenes and believes the music is moving with the reality.

You know what? They were complete amatuers which was so much better. They basically had no experience. They were there to talk about their beliefs in god and it turned into a perfect debate. I was the open-minded priest willing to her them confess. But it definitely worked. I had a great time working out the scenes with their improv.

The editing was not deliberately done in poor taste. I think the story flows based on the style of indie we were going after. We made shots with "amateur-actors" thinking that in the effect of a priest for people in-need of seeking answers. The opposite is happening, because in fact the young priest is also looking for his own answers. It adds to the alienation effects of two parallel worlds, the priest vs. the outside forces acting against him. The priest himself is aware of his place with religion vs. societies view of what the church represents.


No you're right. People will be caught off guard with it, but my hope is in how that style of editing is aimed. It's not meant to catch people off guard, the purpose is to capture what the priest is actually there as if it were you. It's a subjective kind of story-telling, not cut into perfect sequences from one frame to the next. It was all based on the director's vision. (If you watch it through a perspective that the priest is thought of.)


No tam, I like the fact you are the first to watch it. Honest. I like talking like this about it. I do not mind at all. In fact, I'm taking every advantage of the opportunity YOU are giving me. I'm honored it is with you - not only flattered. Honestly. I need to get my side of the ideas out, everyone else is allowed to have thier say. But I need to get my opinion across, so it might help people who haven't seen it perhaps understand. You are a person I can trust I respond to. That way others can read this and imagine beforehand in order to understand the visuals of what I'm talking about. You are not antagonizing me in any way. I only hope people can refer to my comments and base what they expect it on.

No, I haven't. But we shot this in a period of a month Sept - (late) October 2005. We decided, if we were going to do this especially, did we want to have the kind of funding it would be necessary to have professional style and editing? Or - did we want to stay true to an indie flick that wasn't just "a couple of kids screwing around." I hardly feel that we presented a lack-worthy piece of filmmaking. Quite the contrary. It's pure grassroots indie stuff. Not just crap shooting material. In its form I think the quality is good evidence of what indie is. The process we went through is demonstrated in the film itself. Enough worth watching it.

The camera we rented and it is a very good film camera for movies. The best we could get for the small amount of time and money we could afford. We also decided to represent Manitoba artists through the use of editing musical ensemble to tell the story. I think it really worked wonders. Very different.Bands include: The Perpertrators - rythym and blues - we shot a scene with them playing live, there set was so good in the movie. The place was packed and it created a lot of atmosphere. Probably the best footage in the movie. Mood Ruff is hip-hop and very cool. The director has his own spun music as well.

No worries. Mark (the director) has made a perpertrators video. He also made a trailer for the movie. Our next step is doing more edits. Other then that, we want to submit the movie through the right channels and have it seen much. But we really don't know where to go with there.And I can see about a script somewhere if that's what you want to see? Mark has some more ideas for upcoming projects, so I'll mention you as well.



Through watching your video though, as a director, I'd say that your acting
was the best out of everyone. Even the old guy. If I were to make up a short to
direct with you Marco, I'd make you the main character, with narration based on
a big social issue.I saw your talent, but I think it was cut down by parts of
your movie. The editing looked key in the intro but diminished. What program did
you use for the edit?As a professional, I'd say that the beginning really
interested me but I got lost in the first 4-10 minutes. A narration would have
described the artistic vision you've described and might have explained more of
what was going on.

No comments: