Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I am seriously questioning my position in life right now. First I take into account how I suffer at my present place of employment. It is a feeling which I describe as discouragement. Through completing my first week since officially being hired; I've witnessed some issues I have with several of the other workers. My main issue is of trust with the more 'experienced' people who've been working with the company longer. I feel borderline discriminated against as a result of the people which fit into that bracket in large part, are also the one's who make more money. Consequently, this creates a competitive environment based on monetary capital which the company induces with an incentive program. Therefore, the incentive program promotes divisiveness among it's employees. Of course, I am no exception to the rules and it is for this reason a sense of apathy is involved within the company. It is also for this reason, those who fail to see this yet demonstrate the idea are not aware of how this affects performance on an equal level. This indicates a lack of leadership within the organization as a whole.

On a separate level, the supervisor that I directly report to has made a habit of giving priority to the more senior employees in the same division of the company I work in. (I make a part of the selection crew.) As of today, our company's incentive program is as follows:

If we select an average quota of 1000 pieces per shift work - without making an errors (i.e. mistakes = miscounting the item) this factors into 20. cents per case. If the selector makes no errors they can also earn an extra 50$ bonus.

What I argue is that it's impossible for every individual that contributes to the company's selection crew, that this entire group responsible for selecting the orders will pick 1000 pieces each shift. Therefore, this follows the selection process directly influences my own potential earning power. My argument is that the senior selectors have made a habit of picking orders (within the companies guidelines) meeting the criteria necessary. As result directly effects my lower picking bracket, and I also argue reflects on my performance. The reason I suggest this is because the margin of errors I produce are at a much higher risk due to my inexperience. However, because the senior type of selectors have made it a habit to increase there numbers of picking orders, my area for improvement is without a doubt lower than expected. There is no such authority to anticipate or manipulate my cause for concern, it will always be indicative of senior selectors being able to limit my own rate-of-success. I simply cannot put it any clearer.
In fact, I do not confuse this argument with my ability or confidence, it only means I question whether working for this company within this structure (the way it is set in MY words) is worth competing in? These are serious questions, that I would consider are infallible.

Especially when you consider how the company wants it's selectors to succeed, this in turn, does not quite measure up to expectations within the selecting-process among the co-workers. Of course, it is a blind irony (. . . as I mentioned earlier) promotes apathy we are unaware of as a group. Therefore, resulting in 'blind' apathy which can be seen but not heard. For example: within the company, there are blind among us leading the blind. I hope I have made myself clear in this matter. Again, I cannot put myself any simpler than that.

It is indicative of many issues present within this organization. It stems from leadership issues in resource management. I would welcome the opportunity if this letter establishes clarity within the company in offering solutions to ratify these problems. The purpose would be to share, and perhaps ratify these aspects in particular in lieu of some verification.

No comments: