Thursday, July 24, 2025

The 3 universal principles of an actor

 I am not going to get into this any further, the following are directly out of On the Technique of Acting re; Michael Chekov.  These points I illustrate as MY own thesis to what acting should entail. 

==========

1- (a1) How often is his day-to-day life unexpectedly simple, (a2) in contrast to his professional life in which (a3) he is an exceptional individuality.

==========

(Chekov, On the Technique of Acting - Pg15-16)

==========

2-  It is of great importance for the actor to develop a kind of "instinct," which will show him where to deviate from the "logic" of his images.

==========

3- Haven't we noticed that the less talented the person is, the earlier he forms his "convictions" and the longer he tenaciously clings to them?

==========



1 comment:

BigC said...

Marco Almeida
·
I feel impartial to the whole thing, it has been over a year now and I still struggle with what acting is to me, finds bad habits along the way. (I will get back to that shortly. . .) - I only relate this to Onalee because acting can be a meat grinder, and I have therefore felt insecure of my inabilities in performance. Everyone is different.
The result I target in being an actor is acting from the heart, that is why I am in Onalee's class, to eliminate the entrapment (bad habits) actors have.
My personal experience is an affirmation re; theoretical aspects & enabling myself as an actor with a distinct psychological nature.
The main element re; my purpose in Onalee's class is to develop critical thinking skills that the actor can adopt, so I lead by example through my ideas and actions, which may or may not be well received. I try to help others allowance of themselves to act and behave as real actors.
My point behind all this is that acting is a struggle, not a matter of success, fame or fortune.