Thursday, April 27, 2006

The habits and hobbies of timed contraints

I usually keep up with clothing trends by default rather than by design. The style the dominates the racks and are most accessible so that is what I tend to by. I do avoid extremes though. So I never got into super baggy pants nor the 'lee press-on' tight pants.I also have never been a big fan of wearing labels on my clothes (other than to support a sports team or organization. As Run DMC so eloquently stated "Calvin Klein is no friend of mine, don't want nobody's name on my behind".

So while I do not wear 'A-Team', 'Pac-Man' and GnR shirts...I can't help but pick up and wear a few 'retro' looking items from time to time. It is just the style of the day.

I commented a few weeks ago about Fisher Price looking like an '80's prince', with the 'Miami-Vice' like blazer and thin black tie. I remember dressing like that when I was in 8th grade. It was the 80's version of the metro-sexual when everyone, even little 12 year olds like me was image minded. At this time most of us thought we were trend setters, but the whole look including the rock-a-billy movement that coincided with it was juast an adaptation of a previous movement/trend. By the time I graduated (5 years later) high school it was the complete opposite as 'grunge' dressing rather shabbily was the 'style'. BOHO or Bohemian style was actually a trend recently as well. (which like everything else should be repeated several times over in our lifetime).

While this dates me, it also gives me the ability to appreciate the full cycle and spectrum. We have an appreciation for modern function and interpretation of things while maintaining a yearning for nostalgia.

Ironically, coolness is defined by an intangeable quality unrelated to coolness of the object itself. Context is what matters.

No comments: